Psalms 113

Praise ye the LORD. Praise, O ye servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD. Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time forth and for evermore. From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD's name is to be praised. The LORD is high above all nations, and his glory above the heavens. Who is like unto the LORD our God, who dwelleth on high, Who humbleth himself to behold the things that are in heaven, and in the earth! He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth the needy out of the dunghill; That he may set him with princes, even with the princes of his people. He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the Lord.

Psalm 113

When I first heard this verse (focusing on verse 9) after being told it was impossible to bear children, I did not take it well. It just rubbed me the wrong way. "How is that even possible?" I thought.

First, I can't have children, don't you get it? In my mind, to be a "joyful mother of children" you needed children.

Second, I'm in too much pain to "keep house".

So much for encouraging.


However...

There is something to this. After some time, I was able to read these verses again and think that there maybe is something there. Maybe, just maybe there is a place for the Barren Woman. Maybe the Lord does see her after all, and she isn't totally rejected.

"To keep house", to have some place to belong. The Lord does, after all, provide a place for the Barren Woman.

As for "joyful mother of children" I'm still working on that. To be joyful and satisfied in The Lord, no matter what circumstances. Joyful as if I did have children, not delighting in the child (which I do not have), but in The Lord Himself. As Paul said in Philippians, "For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Then he goes on to talk about being full and hungry, in abundance or want.

In this he says "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

No comments:

Post a Comment